Monday, May 16, 2011

Savory Crepes with Bacon, Spinach, Mushrooms and Cream Sauce


I am completely addicted, ADDICTED, to crepes. My 7 year-old loves them in the morning with some bacon and shredded cheddar thrown inside of them, so I like to make a big batch on the weekend and microwave them throughout the week.

I was inspired by a crepes recipe in Mark Sisson's cookbook, but I modified it a little. He uses coconut milk and coconut flour, I use regular milk and almond flour in a slightly higher amount (not because I have anything against coconut flour, it's just that the local store doesn't carry it, although a coconut did once kill my best friend so maybe that is why I have not sought it out...kidding).

Crepes:

1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter
5 Tbsp almond flour (sometimes I add even more if it seems too thin)
8 egg whites

Dump the almond flour in a big bowl. Melt the butter and pour it in. Stir these two ingredients together into a paste (do this before you add the milk or coconut milk and it will help it mix more smoothly). Pour in the milk and mix well. In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites with a whisk until they are really frothy (it helps if you use a really big bowl so you can really get some momentum going on those suckers). Pour the egg whites into the mix in a few batches, stirring them in each time.

Heat a pan on the stove. I personally use my All Clad griddle because it is smooth as a baby's bottom and NOTHING ever sticks to it. When I tried to make these in a regular pan, I basically got scrambled egg whites. The kicker, though, is that these crepes are VERY runny, so they kind of want to run all over the place. So if you are going to make them on a griddle, you have to be a little creative in keeping the crepes from running down the sides. And you have to make your peace that the crepes will not be round.

Anyways, heat these bad boys up, pouring about 1/4 of a cup at a time. They cook pretty fast, so flip as soon as you see bubbles. In my experience, the second side cooks even faster the first.

Filling and Sauce:

1 bag of spinach
1 chopped portabella mushroom
1 diced onion
bacon (get nitrate free kind with no sugar added if you can find it)
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp almond flour
butter
parmesan cheese

To make the cream sauce, melt 2 Tbsp of buter in a sauce pan. and mix in 2 Tbsp almond flour. This is called making a roux. When you make a roux, you are making a thickening agent for a sauce or soup. Keep the butter and flour in equal ratios, but you can increase or decrease the amount of each one to alter the thickness of the resulting sauce. Amazing, I know.

Once the butter and almond flour combine to make a paste, add the milk. Throw in a few handfuls of shredded parmesan, and let it simmer until it thickens. Turn off the heat and let it cool while you make the fillings.

Make the bacon in a pan (I highly doubt I need to explain how to do this). Melt some butter or olive oil (or use the bacon grease from the bacon you just made, you little multi-tasker, you) in a pan and saute the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes again. Throw in 1/2 the bag of spinach (or if you are feeling a little crazy or just watched Popeye, dump in the whole bag, why don't ya?) and cook until the spinach wilts, which will only take a minute or two. Turn off the heat.

Place one or two crepes on a plate and top with vegetable mix. Crumble one or two pieces of bacon on top, and drizzle with your cream sauce. Salt and pepper if desired.

My crepes are never quite big enough to actually roll the up around the ingredients, so I tend to serve this open-faced.

No comments:

Post a Comment