Monday, May 16, 2011

Turnip Gnocchi Crumble


Hmmm, this did not go as planned at all. So I got it in my head that I wanted to make gnocchi, a pasta traditionally made with flour and potatoes. I decided to give it a go with almond flour and turnips. I used:

2 cups almond flour
1 lb of boiled turnips, sent through a potato ricer
1 egg

I combined it all in a bowl and stirred it up. After about 5 minutes, I realized this was not looking anything like pasta dough, so I added yet another cup of almond flour, pausing to note the sheer amount of calories that must now be present in this bowl of goo that I had created.

After quite a bit of stirring and hoping, I realized that short of a miracle, this bowl was not turning into gnocchi anytime this century. We had some leftover buffalo ragu from the night before, so hubby and I decided to go to Plan B and have leftovers. Meanwhile, I did not want to waste my bowl of goo that I had lovingly slaved over (and almond flour is not cheap, so I didn't want to pour $8 worth of it down the drain, I can be stingy that way), so I decided to stick it in the oven and see just exactly what might happen. I spread it around in a baking dish and put it in the oven at 375 while we ate our more edible dinner.

I am not sure how long it was in there, maybe 10 or 15 minutes? Anyways, it essentially turned into a cake with a very almondy and slightly turnip flavor, but pretty neutral overall. I ran a fork through it to turn it into a crumble, and served it with some homemade whipped cream (just a container of heavy whipping cream that I used the magic of the kitchen mixer to whip up) sprinkled with cinammon and topped with peaches. It wasn't half bad.

Were I to make this again (which I doubt I would because I am not a huge dessert person and only made this as a dessert by accident), I bet I could use less almond flour, but I am not sure how that would affect the texture or ability to bake into a cake-like texture. Maybe one day I'll give it a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment